The Society of St. Vincent de Paul was established in Western New York in 1847 at the invitation of Bishop Timon, Buffalo’s first Bishop, to seek the forgotten, the suffering and the deprived and to treat them with dignity and compassion.
Our Council is the second oldest in America and oldest continuously operating charity in Western New York. Its mission is the same today, over 172 years later. On this occasion we will acknowledge the people, both members and benefactors, who have given their time, talent and treasure so that the Society can continue to serve our needy brothers and sisters.
Currently, the Society has over 1,100 members in 60 conferences throughout the area. Its headquarters at 1298 Main Street houses its offices, store, warehouse and dining room. Over 100,000 meals are served, 75,000 articles of clothing and countless items of furniture and appliances are processed every year at this facility. There is no act of charity which is foreign to our members and they assist with whatever assets they have to offer.
This dinner is a testimony to God’s presence in St. Vincent.